Tuesday, April 10, 2007

proposals/partnerships/parents

Last night I had dinner with the crew that my mom went to Ireland with a couple years ago. I should have gone on the trip with her, had I known I was going to get fired a week later. Instead I up and went to see Alexei, so I didn't get to meet her travel buddies until last night. Some of them I already knew. They are old friends and might I add quite an eclectic bunch of intellectuals--artists, lawyers, doctors, etc. One aspect struck me as very progressive. There were the McCarthys, friends from way back, who have divorced and either re-married or re-partnered. Clem married Tara, who coincidentally was my dad's secretary at Hal Riney. Lynn lives in sin with David, an Irish doctor and quite the character. Then there was my aunt Sheila, my "godmutha," from Long Island. There was another couple, Barbara and Tucker, who made us laugh by sharing with us that growing up he was the brunt of all the name game jokes. I had a great time, laughing and enjoying dinner with them, the only person from my generation at the table. I realized that they are all kooks, and eventually in 20 years, my friends from my generation will all be sitting around a table, with our respective husbands or second husbands or life partners or whatever, our own scandals, life and experience equalizing our differences, being as kooky as we are now, just a little more gray and a few more wrinkles.

So a few weeks ago, I wrote a letter of support for my friend Sultan, who was applying for permanent residence as an alien of exceptional ability. Unfortunately, he was not approved, so he followed up by letting me know that possibly in a few months time he would be showing up at my doorstep on one knee with a large sum of money and a diamond ring. Maybe not so coincidentally, Sultan joined me at Mass with my family and brunch for Easter. My family has been talking about him ever since. I informed him last night that he has basically ruined it for me because he's not my boyfriend, but I think my family wishes he was. He responded by saying something like, "You never know. If I don't become your business partner, I might just be meeting you at the altar." So this was the second proposal from Sultan. But who's counting?

So finally, my business. Lately, I'm leaning toward Rue des Genies (Street of Genius) as my business name. This morning I woke up thinking something with Reveries in the title as well. I'm still partial to the former. Any comments?

3 comments:

Mom said...

I'm looking forward to sitting around that table with you.

Libbycookie said...

Reveries.

Kristin Tieche said...

Actually now there will be two (I'll explain later): SelvaVision and either Rue des Genies or I'll think about Reveries. Not sure yet.