Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Halloween

My friend Monique is an incredible artist. She always has been! I've known her since I was a baby. She lived across the street from me in Mill Valley. We would spend hours and hours doodling with crayons as children. Whereas I would draw stick figures and smiley faces, she would draw these fantastical images of fairies and unicorns and pegasi (that's plural for pegasus). In fact, the reason I probably learned about all these mythical creatures may have been partly due to my friendship with Monique. She has an unparalleled ability to dream and create. Whenever I recognize this gift in a person, I feel that I am in the presence of greatness. So Monique has recently started to craft these leather masks. She just finished a master's in depth psychology at Sonoma State and has been studying mask rituals throughout history, in particular, the personas that people take on when they put on a mask. So people become someone or something else when they put on a mask. They are no longer Kristin or Monique, but they are goddesses or fairies or, in my case, a butterfly.

Happy Halloween!


Monique's website: mythicamasks.com

No comments: