Friday, November 03, 2006

piece d'identite

I started filling out my application for permanent residence in Canada today. The whole concept of nationality and borders really perplexes me. I mean, how and when did our governments decide to make it so difficult and bureaucratic to move from place to place? Columbus didn't need a visa to come here. The original settlers didn't either. What about Marie Antoinette? Did she need to fill out immigration forms in order to marry Louis XVI and become the Queen of France? Or was the paperwork resolved with a simple handshake?

So when I move to Vancouver, and if I ever decide to become a citizen, will I no longer be an American? What about Tony Aguerre, the Basque man who I've known since I was a baby (Monique's dad)? He is still seen as Basque, even though he's been here for 40 years. But he's lived here longer than he lived in France! And even in France, he's not considered French, but Basque!

This line of thinking reminds me of the questions about identity that Young brought up one day:

1) how do I see myself? (citizen of the world!)
2) how do others see me? (american citizen?)
3) who am I really? (that's a tough one!)

I'm still working with Jessica on our new dance film about identity, which I hope we're able to finish before the end of the year! Anyway, thought I'd share a photo of her and her beautiful foot.

No comments: