Thursday, November 02, 2006

reveries d'une dejeuneuse solitaire

It's raining cats and dogs today. So I didn't go on a bike ride. Instead I finally cleaned my room and put my clothes away. My mom will be thrilled. I took a bath. It was very relaxing. I had all sorts of aromatherapy products and candles lit to enhance the experience. Before my bath I spoke with Alexei. He sounded happy. Again, surprise surprise, I did most of the talking. Although he told me about how his cousin lives in Denmark and used to be married to a girl from there. When I asked what happened, his response was that his cousin's ex-wife was crazy, and that he didn't think that people from the Caribbean and people from Northern Europe were a good match. Of course, I had something to say about that! I asked him what he thought of a relationship between someone from the Caribbean and someone from North America (especially our two countries). His response was that it was different because he and I have so much in common.

I wonder, how can he know that when our relationship is mostly based on e-mails and a monthly 30 minute phone call?

When I was in the bath, I got a phone call from my friend Angie, with the sad news that some friends of ours are getting divorced. Another international couple, but there is no way one can say that the reasons they are splitting up is that he's from France and she's from England.

What it comes down to, of course, is that the couples that stay together do so because they have learned how to communicate with each other and they grow together and they are still working towards the common goal of being together, not to mention working at maintaining the love and romance of what connected the couple in the first place.

After my bath and after cleaning up my room, I prepared some lunch. I lifted the blinds and sat at the table by the window, so I could feel like I was sitting out on the deck in nature, and still look out the window upon the creek and the raindrops falling on the water, and the yellow leaves falling through the air. As I opened the blinds, I saw a snowy white egret land in the creek for an afternoon repose. A new visitor to my backyard nature sanctuary. (I almost forgot to mention that I saw a fox crossing the road last night on my drive home.) I reflected on the concept of wu wei, and how I can apply the concept to the many decisions I have to make in life. The wu wei concept would say that I don't have to make any decisions, that I shouldn't do anything. This concept constantly reminds me that no matter what we do in life, we will eventually land where we are supposed to land, and things like the egret will unexpectedly land in our path, and we should just wait and see what happens next.

No comments: