Wednesday, April 18, 2007

randomness

I haven't had time to write all week, been working on some stuff for Chantal, and obsessively writing my short story, and continuing to send out resumes since I haven't worked since December.

So forgive me if I ramble about certain things today that are seemingly non-sequiturs.

On Sunday afternoon, still high from meeting the former PREZ, Lilia, Julie and I had brunch in Noe Valley and talked about boys. That's what girls do. We all know this fact. There was even a popular TV show about 30-something women who all got together once a week to talk about boys. Anyway, no conclusions were reached. I think we just need to talk about it all in order to help make a bridge from one encounter with a boy to the next. I don't know why women can't get together and talk about sports, like guys do.

After brunch, I was having an Amoeba fix, since I've been overdosing lately on Arcade Fire's Neon Bible, and since I really like the album, I don't want it to wear out on me too soon. I had read an article about Feist's new album in the New Yorker, so I went in search of that, but Amoeba didn't have it in stock yet, so I bought her previous one. It's kind of folky, kind of poppy, but I have to say, that woman is a great songwriter. The more I listen to the songs, the more they resonate with me. And her sultry voice is growing on me.

After Amoeba, Julie had to take off to get ready for her date with the Brazilian. So Sultan, Lilia and I ended up at some strange cafe talking about spirituality and faith. Since I was raised Catholic, I can kind of see both sides of the coin. I can understand why someone would want or need to have faith in a god. And then as a fallen angel, I can also see the side that says that god doesn't exist, we're here and then we're gone. Discussions about faith can be very tricky, especially in urban hipster circles in SF, because the majority of folks I know are types that go to yoga instead of Mass on Sunday. Or Burning Man is like their Christmas and Easter. It's like we can't have traditional religion so we adopt these new age spiritualities that are just as organized and have their own doctrines. I've been thinking a lot about Sartre these days (because of my short story), and his point is that most people adopt some kind of belief or value system so they don't have to accept the freedom they really have to make their own choices. It's something like that. I'll have to re-read Sartre again to really understand what the heck he's talking about.

Julie went on her date, and when she came back to the apartment, she had a big grin on her face and just said to me, "WOW." I guess it went well.

Finally, my short story. I have been drafting a short story. I haven't written one in years. I felt very inspired about a week ago with some ideas and visions and it just flowed out of me in about 8 hours. I've been putting the finishing touches on it the past few days. I really want it to be good and I want people to enjoy it, and I don't want it to be trite. So I'm taking the time to make it good. Just read a GREAT short story today in the New Yorker called "Something Like Happy." Now if I can make my story as good as that one, that would make me something like happy. Or even happier.

No comments: