Thursday, May 10, 2007

just like that

Yesterday I got a phone call from my friend Jon who informed me that his sister Bonnie (who works at The Fillmore) scored him 2 tickets to the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club show last night, including drink tickets. He asked me if I was interested, to which I did not hesitate to respond with a resounding "HELL YEAH!" So just like that, I had evening plans. I saw the BRMC at Coachella a few years ago and they totally rock. I have one of their albums, Take Them On Your Own. The last time I saw them, it was a short set out there in the desert, and they mostly performed songs from that album. I remember that once during their set, the amps broke down and they quickly whipped out their acoustic guitars and continued playing until the tech guys fixed their equipment. And then they continued to rock.

Last night's show totally rocked. The band spoke to the audience about 4 times, once to say, thanks for coming, twice to introduce a song, and one last time to say, you've been a great audience. The rest of the time was Rock and Roll all the way! They looked like a typical garage band, with bad hair, dressed all in black. The best part of the show for me was when they put aside their electric guitars and played an acoustic set, so you could really feel their talent at songwriting. People even raised their lighters. I told Jon that I didn't think people still did that. He said they don't. They usually hold up their cell phone cameras.

Jon is moving to Los Angeles to live with his girlfriend and take on parenthood. So he's leaving his 1 bedroom bachelor pad in the Upper Haight come June. He has a beautiful white cat named Snow who likes to vomit that he can't bring with him. But she is so cute and friendly. Jon's apartment is in a typical 1970's building, but his place has a view of the Golden Gate Bridge, Mt. Tam, Golden Gate Park, St. Ignatius Church and of course the Pacific Ocean. He's going to ask his landlord today if I can take over his lease. And so, just like that, come June, I may once again be on my own, and a pet owner. It never ceases to amaze me how your life can change so quickly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Break a leg!!